Flying Mule Farm
Flying Mule Farm is a diversified family farm that provides wholesome, sustainably produced food and fiber to our community. Working in partnership with our animals and with the natural world, we also support other farmers who share our vision of sustainable agriculture.
- Development of a genetic base designed to optimize a low-input grass-based production (with little or no supplemental feed inputs).
- Production of flavorful and tender grass-fed lamb.
- Production of a high-quality wool clip.
- Development of a grazing and nutrition management system that will result in a weaned lamb crop of 150+ percent.
- Development of a record-keeping and management system designed to optimize maternal characteristics (lambing ease, lamb vigor, mothering ability) in a pasture-based system.
- Demonstration of forage management, husbandry, business management and marketing systems for small-scale, direct-market sheep producers.
- Use and demonstration of low-stress stockmanship techniques and handling systems.
- Use and demonstration of guardian and stock dogs in a small-farm flock.
- Use and demonstration of water-efficient irrigation technology for foothill ranchers.
- Use and demonstration of nonlethal predator management systems.
- Public outreach on a variety of topics, including meat and fiber production, targeted grazing, stockmanship and predator control.
- Support for other local sheep producers.
Photo Credit: Flying Mule Farm