- This event has passed.
Cover Cropping in Orchards
February 27 @ 9:30 am - 11:30 am
Solano RCD, Dixon RVD, Community Alliance with Family Farmers (CAFF)/Farmers Guild, and NRCS invite you to a Cover Crop Field Day!
Wednesday, February 27, 2019, 9:30 – 11:30 am
Stevenson Bridge Rd, Winters, CA 95694 (Detailed directions provided with RSVP)
Join us for:
* A facilitated panel discussion and open Q&A session with Solano County growers currently using cover crops
* Field tour of the almond orchard with different types of cover crop (erosion mix, brassicas, and wildflowers)
* presentation about species mix selection by Kamprath Seeds
* Potential benefits of cover crops
* Considerations for managing cover crops: timing site prep, planting, weed control, irrigation, termination, re-seeding
* Targeting species mix for management goals
* Managing existing week growth as a cover crop
* Effects on nitrogen budgets and nutrient management
* Effects on water budgets: infiltration improvements, water use by cover crops
* Experienced growers’ perspectives: challenges and success, lessons learned
Light refreshments provided.
CEU credits for nitrogen management plan self-certification applied for & pending approval.
Andrea Mummert, Solano RCD (707)678-1655 ext. 112 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Marth McKeen, Dixon RCD (707)678-1655 ext. 103 or email@example.com